donate


The King's Daughters Day School is proud to be a United Way Member Agency.unitedway33 West Grand Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07202

Phone: 908-353-7171
Fax: 908-353-6310

Click Here to Visit

History


Our School

Established in 1906, The King’s Daughters Day School is accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs. This honor is achieved by very few child care programs in New Jersey.

History of the Day School

1906

1886

Ten socially conscious women of New York City society with Christian inspiration formed a Circle to aid the less fortunate.  Two years later husbands and sons formed an interested Circle.  Thus was founded the International Order of The King’s Daughters and Sons. 

1892

Growing out of support from the original founders through mutual friendships, Plainfield Circles were formed.  A bed for new mothers at Muhlenberg Hospital, a clinic and summer camp for small children, the sponsorship of visiting nurse (forerunner of the Plainfield Visiting Nurse Assoc.) gave the expanding Circles meaning and purpose.

40-2

1906

Plainfield Circles incorporated their City Union as a non-profit agency with the primary interest of caring for children of working mothers.  They purchased a small house on West Third Street and The King’s Daughters Day Nursery was begun with
three children.

1912

1912

As parents learned of the Nursery’s services the need for larger facilities became apparent, 502 West Front Street, the school’s present location, was purchased.

40s1917

A small house on an adjoining lot was purchased to serve as administrative offices.

1948

A Generous bequest allowed the two building to be connected.

 

 

40

 

1956

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Nursery’s founding, the Children’s Foundation was formed.  This ever-increasing non-reversible trust is one of the earliest endowments established in the Day Care community and provides through its annual interest funds for the Nursery’s operation.

1967

A major fund drive resulted in a complete renovation of the facility.

 

1967

1980

By now the Nursery has toddler, pre-school and kindergarten programs. With the purchase of a van, an after-school program and summer camp for five to ten year olds became possible.

1982

To reflect a renewed commitment to cognitive training’s role in Day Care, the Board of Trustees changed the name to The King’s Daughters Day School.

1986-1987

A successful building fund campaign provided capital improvements, including a new façade, office space, additional instruction rooms and the state’s first in-house sick bay.  The Rainbow Room was staffed by a registered nurse and was created to allow parents of children falling sick during school time to remain at work.  To celebrate its 80th anniversary the Board organized an evening of private dinner parties and a concert at Crescent Avenue Presbyterian Church.

1990-95

The School operated its first satellite center, an Infant Toddler Center in West End Gardens Housing Development, Plainfield.

1991

The National Academy of Early Childhood Programs approved the application for accreditation. The mark of excellence has been maintained since then for each three-year term.  A revision of the by-laws and expanded employee benefit program strengthened the agency’s structure.

blocks1992

Replacement and renovation of the school’s roof and the purchase of the two school buses.

1995

In keeping with the school’s mission to provide related family support, a Support Services program with a part-time mental health consultant offered short term counseling and crisis intervention.

 

 

1998

Foundation grants permitted the renovation of the Day School’s 15 bathrooms in addition to the replacement of windows.  An historical moment arrived in March, when the last of the existing Circles, Unity, disbanded and very generously turned over their assets to the Day School.  In April, at the Plainfield Country Club, the Board sponsored a signature event, an evening of cocktails and dinner.

In its responsibility to meet an annual budget of over one million dollars, the Board of Trustees continues to honor the founders’ mission of providing heavily subsidized day care services to needy families of the region; it is encouraged by the School’s past success to build toward another century of ever-increasing quality and leadership.

2003

Thanks to the generosity of foundations, corporations, and individuals, central air conditioning was installed at the Day School.

outdoor

2004

The Day School completed the first phase of extensive renovation of the playground.  The level bike path, sand tables, playhouse, jungle gym and other fixtures for safe play were funded with $76,000 in grants and donations.

2005

Through a generous grant from the Turrell Fund the Day School instituted a sequential learning music program that links music with literacy and math learning.

 

 

music

 

2007

Thanks to a generous grant from Ethicon, Inc. our summer camp children created mosaic tiles to cover the planter in the front lobby.

computer

2008 - 2009

In 2008 all the window shades in classrooms and offices were replaced with new energy efficient shades. The shade replacement was possible due to generous grants from foundations. In 2009 all of our computers were replaced and upgraded thanks to generous grants from numerous foundations.